Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Quilting...

I've been "attempting" to quilt for a long time. I still consider myself a beginner quilter even though I can piece intermediate to expert blocks. The problem I have is the quilting. It literally scares me. But it's been a learning process trying to figure things out on my own. My other in law quilts, and coaches me from 3000 miles away in Alaska. (Thanks Laurie!) But everything has pretty much been a try, fail, learn process. I finally bought myself a used Viking machine, and let me tell you, it's a dream compared the clunky Brother I had before. I attempted to stipple this whale quilt (toddler bed sized) a few days ago, and pretty much broke down at my machine. But it wasn't me, and it wasn't my machine, and with my coach helping me troubleshoot via FB, I learned that it was my thread. Instead of stippling though, I just did some straight line quilting. I haven't been able to perfect the basting process yet, so in my attempt to actually accomplish quilting and finish my projects, I just used some basting spray you can pick up at any quilting craft store. So far, I like this process MUCH better than safety pins. Something else I also attempted on this quilt is applique. I already had the material to do it and the only problem I found was that curves are extremely hard to stitch over when it's already attached to the quilt. If I do this again, I may attach it to my top BEFORE I put my quilt sandwhich together. The backing is Urban Zoologie Whales in Aqua by Ann Kelle for Robert Kaufman fabrics. I LOVE her stuff. the front is a basic solid I picked up on clearance, the navy polka dot was also a clearance fat quarter, and the teal binding and water spouts are from a Walmart brand full size sheet that I've been saving to back my Amy Butler quilt (which I still have not made yet)!

This next quilt is an infant sized quilt. I used a jelly roll (20 strips) that Laurie got from JoAnn's for me a long time ago, and some flannel I picked up at Walmart's annual flannel sale (Rexburg store) for $2.50 a yard. I only used a yard of it. I also used the cutest brown striped fabric (I found on clearance at a local quilt store that's going out of business) for the binding and am IN LOVE. I may or may not send my hubby to the quilt store on his way home to see if there is any more left. This one will be sent to my friend Amy D. in Cali for her son to raffle off at a school fundraiser. Sad, because the longer I look at it, the more I really want to keep it! Just FYI, I mention the prices of things so that you can see that even though quilting is a realy expensive hobby, there are ways you can save money. ALWAYS take advantage of those extra 20% off coupons at JoAnns, ALWAYS stock up when something is 40-50% off and you HAVE those 20% coupons, AND ALWAYS hit up those quilting stores that may be going out of business.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog from Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew, and just want to say that I absolutely LOVE that whale quilt!! I pinned it on Pinterest(hope you don't mind) cause it's just too cute!

    ReplyDelete