Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Sparkling Diva...

Hehe...

That title reminds me of Moulin Rouge. I love that movie...specifically the moment I got goosebumps when Christian (played by Ewan McGregor  - and yes he really did sing in that movie) belted out his first musical line in the movie...chills. I LOVED his voice in that movie...

Anyway back on topic...

I was commissioned to make a "diva" baby quilt for a baby girl due in the next couple weeks. I already had the black zebra print and decided a diva quilt wouldn't be diva without some hot pink to go along with it. As I was searching for the perfect pattern I came across the Sparkle pattern in Allison's book Growing Up Modern. Uh...awesome! It calls for quarter cuts but I used FQ's. The reason she uses quarter cuts is because there is way less waste. But no worries, there are still pretty big scraps from the FQ's. 


I used some white Michael Miller Cotton Couture for the sashing and the applique block. I left off the border, and instead of using small sashing strips, I used long ones. I'm sure that the pattern uses the smaller cuts because with such a small sashing, the longer strips are a lot harder to keep straight, even with pinning. I quilted it with a large stipple around the applique block and on the inside of the applique block I did a tight stipple with a crown just atop the "C". I added in a tiny hearts and stars here and there as well.


This afternoon, in between putting this quilt top together, I headed over to Sarah Jane Studios for her annual studio sale. I didn't manage to get a box last year, but this year, I got two! Woot! I'm very excited and will show you the contents of said boxes when they arrive! Until then, have a good one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment